Thursday, August 28, 2008

second, third, fourth day of school


Grace has become such an independent little thing. The third day of school she decided she wanted to try hot lunch, walk in by herself, and ride the bus home... all on the same day. Watch out world. This may not seem like a big deal for some kids but considering Grace's history of being a little on the shy side it's awesome.




I'm not going to lie, I am nervous about her riding the bus with all those older kids. One night I was telling her that I wished she had an older brother who could take care of her on the bus. Her answer was classic, " I don't need a brother, I can take care of herself." (Duh, why didn't I think of that.) I love all her new found spunk and confidence. I'd say that is one of the most important school supplies a girl could have in her "pencil box of life". Her first day, she didn't like riding the bus all that much because it was "too crowded" but after a full interrogation she changed her mind and wanted to keep riding.




My dad used to ask us every night at dinner, "What did you learn at school today?" Of course our answer was always the same, "Nothing." So I thought I could be sneakier and get more info by asking, "What was your favorite thing about school?" and later, "What was the worst thing that happened at school today?" This was Grace's response; "Nothing bad. You don't have to ask me that. I will tell you if anything bad happens at school, you don't have to ask me all the time. Why do you ask me those questions?" I told her, "You are away from me for a long time during the day, I miss you and want to know what is happening with your day." I think she took mercy on me and decided to grace me with a daily report. Jeese, the things a mother has to do to extract a little information from her kids.

2 comments:

christa said...

I knew she'd inherit a little from her aunt bff. So proud of you Gracie!

Norris Fam said...

Cute blog Tana...I can't believe you actually did it! Thanks for sharing!