Wednesday, January 6, 2010

. . . Continued

. . . I had my feet up but the mysterious pains continued. We went to bed in the front room but the pains continued. I said a prayer that labor (if it was indeed labor) would stop... but the pains continued. I couldn't sleep so left our living room mattress, took a bath/shower, did my hair and makeup (wait till you see our photos right after the birth, it was totally worth the effort.) THE PAIN CONTINUED. I called the hospital to see what they thought I should do, "Listen to your body." The nurse told me when I told her this was my fourth child. Finally I woke Matt, "You can probably shower or whatever before we go (2:30 AM)." He apparently thought I was really in labor because he tooke a really fast shower. I woke my mom who was sleeping upstairs (without carpet, poor thing.) Matt gave me a wonderful blessing and we left for the hospital. I was dilated to 7 cm when we arrived. Oh my, could this be happening? They called the anesthesiologist before the doctor. (I just knew I liked that RN when I talked to her on the phone.) It was the very best epidural of all time. (Imagine a chorus of hallelujahs right there.) Then we hung out for a little while.
Finally the nurse came in, "Do you feel like you need to push?"
Me, "Nope, I'm good."
Marty (RN), "Hmm, I think you're ready,"
Me, "Nope, I'm good, can't feel a thing."
RN, "Let's just do a practice push."
ME, "OK."
Marty, "Oh, we better get the doctor in here."
ME, "OK."
3 pushes later an 8 pound 4 ounce Riggins came into the world.

My first thought was, "Those ears are huge." Then, "I can't believe he's here."

5 comments:

Just Us said...

Okay I am dying for some pictures Tana. I want to see that little man.
I laugh that you put something about the Hallelujah chorus. One of my friends what having a discussion on her facebook about misunderstanding words in songs. Some girls said she thought the hallelujah chorus said..how are you yeah. Now I can't read that or sing that or hear it without saying how are you yeah? It sounds like you were pretty good.

Emily said...

I hope that I get a good epidural! Yours sounds too good to be true! Post pictures!

Michelle said...

What a nice labor your little boy gave you. : ) Marty rocks, lucky you!

Norris Fam said...

What a great story! I'm sure your mom will forgive you for the no carpet thing :)

Hollie said...

I googled your blog as soon as I got Gavin down for a "REST" and here I am. I love your birth story. You are one strong woman. It makes me want to get more things done before baby comes. Thanks for letting Bella play.