Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A battle worth fighting?

Bella has always needed a special something to get her to go to sleep. When she was a baby she HAD to be wrapped tight as a burrito. When she got stronger and started busting out of the burrito (and waking up) we put her in this fleece snowsuit. Just like that, habit formed. It was fine, our nights get cold here but my in-laws all thought I was nuts when she had to have it even at naptime in the car, in Arizona. Well, she obviously outgrew the suit. So now... she has a blanket. She LOVES it. That's ok, right, lots of kids have blankets. But now she wants it all the time. Watching T.V. (fine), long car rides (fine), short trips into the grocery store , church, (whoah, hold the phone, we have to draw the line somewhere) (don't we?)
Today she wanted it when we were driving Grace to school.

I said no.

She cried almost the whole way to school.

When it was time to pick Grace up from school, I caved.

So my question is... does it really matter? Obviously she can't take it to Kindergarten. I need to decide if this is a battle I'm going to fight. Otherwise she just keeps winning these skirmishes. That is no good.

Have you an opinion on the matter? Do tell.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

My opinion: Definitely NOT worth the fight! It's a blankie for hells sake:) If it makes her happy, let her have it. (I'd just have an identical one for backup, like when it needs to be washed;) or a smaller version for the car.

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

Don't tell my sister in law Jasmine it is a problem. She STILL has her "woobie" :). Sleeps with it every night. Granted it is a rag, but she still has to sleep with it under her pillow! I LOVE to tease her about it! Maybe she will read this...you know she is moving up her...free game people! Mock away! :)

My great grandma made me a blanket. Jake uses it now. It is falling apart, and I sneak it sometimes to curl up in for a movie. There is an extra comfort with it! LOVE IT!

AND if you would like the therapist point of view, since we have had our fair share of therapists around here...a child being able to find something to soothe themselves is a HUGE developmental mile stone. It is healthy and good. If she doesn't use her blanket, it will be something else. Maybe chewing her clothes, twisting her hair until it falls out, picking her nose and eating it...blanket not sounding so bad anymore, is it?! HAH!

I do agree with Amanda...GET A BACK UP!

Kristin and Jay said...

I would much rather have a blanket than the bottle! Ashlynn has never attached to anything other than the bottle to soothe her. So Bella can go to kindergarten with her blanket and Ashlynn can show up with her bottle =) I'm thinking the blanket seems a little less embarrassing! She's not even 2, but I still get some "looks" from people!

christa said...

Really. . .need you even ask. You're talkin to the mamma that would nurse the kiddos until CPS knocked on my door (or your guys jumped in for an intervention) or just lop off my boobies for them to take with---really, T. . .It's a BLANKET!! Go crazy let her have 2.

And when you find something let me know what works since the "Ta ta's" are going away this weekend. . .yikes.

Jelina said...

Colt was the same with his blanket. I never fought it I think because I didn't make a big deal, he finally just outgrew needing it all the time. He still sleeps with it, but he was full-time blankie free by the time kindergarten came around. Now, Bryce is just starting to outgrow having to have his everywhere. I let him take it in the car to church, but he can't take it into the church. I wouldn't worry.

Norris Fam said...

Syd still has hers and she is starting to not panic if it's not by her. I think it is something that sorta goes away on it's own. But I'm with you...absolutely never at church! For some reason germ crusted nursery toys mixed in with the special blanket don't mix so well! She does look adorable wrapped in her special blanket!

(I can't believe Amanda said "hells sake" on your blog...I'd go TP her house if I were you :)

Ashley Jones said...

Bella boo is so cute! All the kids are growing up so fast! We miss you guys! Hope all is well, Love ya tons!