Monday, May 24, 2010

AOADD


Adult Onset Attention Deficit Disorder. That is my (self) diagnosis.


I fear my symptoms are getting worse. By. The. Day.


It appears to be a genetic disorder. My Mom suffers from a fierce case as well.


It seems to be exacerbated by multiple or long to do lists.


Example #1 It was after lunch and we were going to have some ice cream. Scraping the bottom of the carton I offer to get more from the freezer in the garage. On the way out I see a box from Costco, "I'll just put that in the recycling." I broke down the box and wrestled with it, trying to get it to fit in the bin.(Approximately 5 minutes later) I gave up and was kneeling in front of the freezer when Matt came out to see if some horrible accident had befallen me. Alas, no accident, just my faulty brain.


I could go on and on but... that would be focused and not at all what this post is about. Instead I want to share this funny poem I found in one of my organizing books;

One morning I woke and began resolutely
To work till my tasks were done absolutely
I decided I would not waste even a minute-
In the race against time, I determined to win it.

I started all right, first clearing the dishes,
Then saw it was time to clean the bowl for the fishes,
As I reached for the cleanser, I thought that I'd better
Grab soap flakes as well for washing a sweater.

As I went for the sweater, I saw that the bed
Needed straightening, so I stopped to do that instead.
Just then the phone rang, and while I was answering it,
I saw plants on the sill that needed watering a bit.

So went my day, and I worked till bone tired;
Then happy and proud, I sat back and admired.
But taking stock of my home, my joy was diminished;
Everything was started, but nothing was finished.

-Donette V. Ockey










5 comments:

Kara said...

I must have that to because I wander room to room daily getting nothing done. And leaving half done projects all over the house=)

Just Us said...

I have the same thing too. I wonder why my house is never clean. I start many projects but fail to finish them. Are you a "Modern Family" fan? They had the funniest episode about AOADD. It was probably the funniest episode to me because I could totally and completely identify.

Tracy said...

LOVE IT! The funny thing is...welcome to my world, honey! I've been ADD all my life, so I've learned not to see it as a problem or a weakness, it's just me. And, I'm fabulous! :-) So are you, thanks for bringing a smile to my day. Miss you!

Norris Fam said...

This is why I love the "If You Give A Pig A Pancake" book series...because I can totally relate to it!

christa said...

Quit watching me!! Sure love you!