Saturday, September 12, 2009

The bus melt down

For whatever reason Grace occasionally has meltdowns over things. She has since she was very little, like when she was about 3 she cried in the car outside her music lesson. I tried everything, being nice, being stern, sympathetic, ... you get the idea. That day I had a dentist appointment or I would never have left her (more out of love and respect for Shalece who was teaching the class then for Grace who clearly needed to stop crying) Anyway to top that story off, after I had taken her into the music studio and left her (in hopes she would settle down with just a little distraction) another woman came in and said to Shalece, "The reason she is crying so hard is because her mom was yelling at her." Well.... Shalece defended me but I felt like saying to that woman, "you didn't see the 10 minutes I spent talking nice before I resorted to yelling" but.... sorry that was a whole other story. All I am saying is meltdowns run in her veins (Pretty sure she got it from me but again... another story.)

SOOOO, the 2nd day of school the kids are all set to ride the bus home. I am at Mindy's with her sleeping baby while she is picking up her kids from school when I get the dreaded phone call

"We have Grace in the office (I can hear Grace sobbing), she didn't get on the bus, can you come get her?"

"Yes, but it will be a few minutes." (Remember I'm at Mindy's with her sleeping baby.) "Would it be possible to pull McCade off the bus too."

"jfkhsdfjklhajklfh" I can't remember what she said but suffice it to say there was some radio static and I wasn't sure if she was too late to get McCade off the bus.

MEANWHILE... Sydney (Mindy's daughter) had seen Grace crying, had informed her mom, who had called me to see if I needed Grace picked up.

GRACE didn't want to get in the car... FINALLY I talked to her sweet teacher (who I will love forever because of her TLC of Grace) and Grace got in with Mindy.

IN THE MEANTIME while they are en route from the school, I get another dreaded call from the school;

"We have McCade in the office to be picked up, you told me to pull him off the bus."

yes, but remember, you never really got back to me about if it was too late to pull him off (Only spoken in my head, of course)

"I will be right there to get him" As soon as Grace arrives I hightail it back to the school to get McCade, who is standing outside with Grace's teacher Mrs. Mark (I hug her whenever I see her now, I can't help it, I feel like we have been through some kind of war together.) McCade is crying because he WANTED to ride the bus. Oh please, will this day just end already.

Maybe homeschooling should be a more carefully considered option, disregard that I lack the patience and diligence to do it and also that I can barely add or subtract without the use of an electronic device. If we homeschooled this would NEVER have happened.

At the end of the day all I can say is that we learned some valuable lessons;

#1 Mrs. Mark is SOOOO nice.

#2 Apparently there no longer is a bus #28 like it said on the paper they sent home.

#3 Also, apparently the 2nd day of school is soon enough for them to know where they are going. (Silly me, I thought they would still be getting a little help.)

What happened was, Grace got down to the bus line, didn't see the number she was used to and went back to her classroom, where her teacher took her to the office. SO the next day I walked her from her class, to the bus line, to the bus. But still.... why does life have to be so hard? Anyone? I guess this is how we learn those life lessons.

(P.S. remind me to tell you the story about the wrong bus I got on and one of my crying episodes.)

4 comments:

Cassie said...

What is it about buses? I can rememeber several bus meltdowns that I had and still to this day hate school buses!
Good luck with baby number four! Will be thinking about you!

Kristin and Jay said...

So sad! I would have had a meltdown too and I'm 29!

Norris Fam said...

That is hilarious...I would hug the teacher too (and probably bring her chocolate :).

Jelina said...

Loved all your stories! Finally getting caught up.