Friday, November 21, 2008

Drama, Key drama

I don't know what it is about me that attracts a certain amount of drama with my cars. Let's start at the beginning. I first locked myself out when I was pregnant with Grace. There I was in the Costco parking lock, with 100 pounds of dog food and a big belly outside, lots of perishables inside (it was summertime of course). Called a lock smith...(Sadly, there is an actual category in Quicken named "Tana locked out") When I was pregnant with McCade it wasn't my fault, my clicker stopped working (in Rexburg) while I was driving from Billings to Hailey. There are alot of helpful people at the gas station on a Sunday. Ironically all going to get a Diet Coke in their church clothes.... After about four people had stopped to help me, one called her neighbor who was a police man to come break into the car and we were on our way. It seems since then I have locked myself out with increasing frequency. Since then I have taken to carrying extra keys; one in my purse, one in a hide-a-key on the car, one at Jenn's house, and of course Matt has one and has rescued me many times. So keeping all that in mind, our new "magic" minivan only came with one key. But I was determined not to lock myself out. I started the new practice of only locking the van with the remote firmly grasped in my hand. Last week Matt went out of town, hunting. I took the kids to the park and lost my one and only key. (LOST, not locked). We looked all over for it and I even put an add in the paper. (sweet McCade still prays I'll find them and I haven't the heart to tell him how highly unlikely this is, since if someone had found the keys they might have deduced that they probably belonged to the minivan parked there for four days.) I left the van at the park until Thursday when I had it towed to the dealership so they could make us a new key. It had to be towed in so they could hook it to their computer to put a chip or something...Now SERIOUSLY who is going to steal a minivan? The answer...no one. Why can't I have a regular 3 dollar key??? Why, for the love. Sadly this is not the end of the story, the computer wouldn't "talk" to the van so they wanted more $ to DIAGNOSE the problem... When I called Matt in tears over the latest development he called and "discussed" the situation with the service manager and they worked out the details. The minivan was still there over the weekend but I got it back safe and sound. The silver lining was we haven't sold our old van so I drove it around, just like old times.

2 comments:

Norris Fam said...

Sounds like your luck with cars is about the same as ours lately...thank goodness for your old standby!!!

Michelle said...

Really? A line in Quicken? Girlfriend!
Hee hee