Sunday, January 18, 2009

Deep thoughts

We had a fantastic lesson in Relief Society last Sunday about Unity. My friend, Melody was teaching and she related a personal story from when she was on a trek with the young men and women her (last) ward. She told about the part of the trek called the "Women's Pull" which represents when the women had to pull the handcarts themselves because the men had left (Mormon Battalion).
She said that some of the girls didn't help pull the carts up the hill, but walked along side, either because they were too scared or tired...
I thought to myself, "I could never watch my "sisters" pull a handcart up a hill and not help them.
Then she asked the question, "Are some of us just walking beside? Because we are too busy, too tired, too burnt out, too whatever."
I started to cry.
I know that I "walk" sometimes. When it comes to the gospel I push and pull the handcart if and when I feel like it or if and when I am asked.
I show up, but sometimes that is all I do.
For some people that is it's own victory (most days, just showing up is a victory for me too.)
But for those days that I have more than just "showing up" energy I think of President Hinkley's counsel to "Stand a little taller." Surely I can do that. I know I can. I must.

1 comment:

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

WOW! Thanks for that! I need almost daily to be reminded! I need a bit more prodding than most I think.

I remember a quote by Elder Maxwell. He said that there were days when he was so ill and so much in pain that he couldn't even get off his knees to get into bed. He would have to roll up onto the bed somehow. He said that those days were the hardest. But before he could get himself off to sleep he reminded himself, "Neal, you are an apostle of the Lord and you are His servant. Get up and go to work." He said that he would roll himself off his bed and back onto his knees and tell the Lord that he was there to serve and what was needed. He said that almost always there was something. He would get back up, get dressed and go off to work again.

THAT is amazing! I need to learn to be a better servant instead of serving when it fits into MY plans.

Thanks for the motivation Tana!

LOVE your back ground by the way! SO not depressing! :)