Thursday, January 29, 2009

Adventures in sacrament meeting.

I have told this story a few times and every time I tell it I feel better and less like I need therapy. Thanks for "listening" and not charging me.

So, last Sunday, Matt has a ward conference and I am flying solo at church (just a little shout out to all you women with husbands who "sit on the stand". I don't know how you do it without medication, for both you and your children.) It starts out , pretty normally, with us running late (even though Matt was still home and helping herd at this point.) I hate that feeling on the way to church when I'm all "Aurghhhh" so grumpy, not a good way to start the Lord's day. I dropped the kids off at Primary (1st in our ward), make an Enrichment announcement; get to R.S. late, make my way to the front to make an announcement, discuss with Kathy (at the front of the room) times and places, organized, real organized... two hours later. The kids and I are in our usual row (which is against one wall and across the chapel from the door. What? It's important for the story.). They are climbing over each other, moving around, asking in loud voices when they can have a snack, just usual stuff. After the sacrament is passed Grace is "soooo thirsty" and McCade has to go the bathroom. Fine. "Grace, stay with him. Be reverent." (first trip across the chapel in front of everyone.) A few minutes later Grace is back (2nd time across), "McCade needs you to wipe him. I need to go too." Grace, Bella (I couldn't leave her on our bench by herself.), and I traipse across the chapel (3rd time across) and down to the bathroom. Where I have to wipe not one but two poopy bums, (At this point in the story you might be asking why I am still wiping a 5 and 7 year old, Good question, I ask myself almost daily the same thing. ) So, we all go back to our row (4th time) A few minutes later...Bella says, "Poopy" with a stressed look on her face. Me thinking, "I cannot walk in front of all those people again." BUT she wasn't poopy, she had somehow peed out the side of her diaper, all over her tights and the back of her dress. What could I do? I took off her tights and we stayed put until the end of church. Painful. But worth it in the end. (Especcially if the end includes my happily married, temple attending, scripture reading, RM children calling to tell me of their adventure filled sacrament meetings with my sweet grandchildren.)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh isn't it so much fun! Peed out the side, really? I say find a new row...maybe when they're 15 you can claim it back!

Norris Fam said...

But really, everyone was bored in sacrament anyway. They were just grateful to the Parke family for providing some entertainment!!!

Anonymous said...

I think you should get there a little earlier so you can find a seat next to the door! : )